Sunday, March 6, 2011

Recording Frustrations

A few weeks ago I bought Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio 7. I was excited that I'd be able to record MIDI arrangements of jazz standards and originals that I like to play. With Band in a Box, I can enter the changes and style of a particular song, export it as a MIDI file, which makes the rhythm tracks that I can play over with my own melody and solos. This would result in jazz trio recordings that I could save and post as MIDI files or convert into MP3 or other audio formats.

Well, I have not been able to get to square one. There seems to be some kind of latency problem with my audio or MIDI drivers. I cannot get the simplest recording of just a few single notes to record and be in sync with the audio or metronome. Apparently this is a typical problem when using a PC or laptop to record. I have tried many different latency settings and updated drivers to no avail.

I think I am going to abandon this effort and look into getting a standalone recorder for live audio. I do not have the patience to mess with drivers, latency and other things just to get a simple recording going on my laptop.

No comments: