Sunday, September 26, 2010

Week of September 19-26

Well, I guess it's time to wrap up the week. It always seems like a long time has past when I try to think back over the week. Sometimes its a blur. Other times there is more clarity. In keeping with my new blog stream of consciousness philosophy, I will just go ahead and splatter as I listen to John Coltrane playing Central Park West or, now, Pat Metheny playing Soul Cowboy on the wonderful digital music jazz station supplied by the corporate evil entity, Time Warner.

As usual, work occupies the major portion of my week. We are getting close to shipping the next release of the Corepoint Health Integration Engine in 2010. That is very satisfying. We have a couple of long pole features keeping it back but we are getting close.

Other than work, I am looking into buying more property. With interest rates at historic lows and deals to be had, I am thinking about ways to leverage that. A house I am interested in was reduced by 20k just this week (amounts to about 10% reduction). I am making a run for it. We'll see what happens with the low offer I proposed.

I was fortunate to attend a very excellent SMU Orchestra concert Saturday night. They played a premiere compostion by Paul Phillips, the orchestra director. The best piece was the Rachmaninoff Variations on a Theme by Pagannini. Of course the Brahms 4th symphony was no disappointment either. Very excellent. I love to see young people coming together to create a modern experience of historical compositions. Something about that makes life worth living.

Finally, I finished the week today walking for an hour around White Rock Lake with my best friend Diana. We had wonderful conversations about children, music, philosophy, psychology and theological variations. This afternoon turned out to be perfect weather and I heard the Mike Drake trio at Times Ten Cellars. What a treat as it was really a quintet that included the best musicians in Dallas.

No comments: