Sunday, September 12, 2010

Car Shopping

This weekend I went with a friend to test drive a few cars. She wants to get a new car and was first attracted to the Prius. Since driving it the first time, though, she has also become interested in Acura. She came along with me when I was car shopping a few months ago, so I wanted to go with her this time.

First, she drove my TSX to the Acura dealership to get a feel for the way it handles. At the Acura dealership, we drove a TL. The TL was a bit larger and had a smoother ride. The downside of the TL is that it has a V6 and gets significantly poorer gas mileage than the 4 cylinder TSX and especially the Prius. For the money, it's not a bad deal though since you can get a TL for only a few K more than a TSX.

Next was the Lexus hybrid sedan, the H2 I believe. It rode pretty smoothly. Gas mileage was stated at around 35 mpg. The price tag is significantly higher than an Acura or Prius.

Last, we went back to Toyota and drove the Prius again (for her). It was my first time. The ride was ok, but the interior was very bland after driving the Acura and the Lexus. Gas mileage is impressive as the average is quoted as 51 mpg with some reports of up to 60 mpg depending on specific driving habits and environment. The downside to the Prius is the appearance. While it is intended to be very aerodynamic, it looks less professional than the Acura or the Lexus.

I believe the Acura TSX is the leading contender at this point. It gets 31 mpg on average, drives great and looks great. Maybe a new car for her next weekend :-)

No comments: