Sunday, February 22, 2009

Another NFL Football Season vs. Other Things to Do

Originally posted in my old blog in September 2008

Seems that the 2008 pro football season started today. Or was it last week? Maybe this past Thursday. At any rate, it’s here and we can all wonder whether the Cowboys are going to get into the playoffs and actually progress with forward momentum this year. Or maybe not….
Sure, last year I was worshipping at the altar of HD TV with my shiny new 47 inch HD-capable TV complete with compact sound bar and sub-woofer. Sure the games were so visually stunning that I could see gnats crawling on helmets from a full field shot. Yes, I went to the first playoff game here against the Giants and was as surprised as everyone else at the upset and properly stimulated to want to see the new stadium in Arlington in 2009 up close and personal, but there could be more to life than this, right?

Today I sit here with the TV off, oblivious to the plethora of chatter, analysis and speculation that must be going on on ESPN, Fox Sports and any other channel that is carrying pro football games. The soundbar of the TV is hooked up to my newly loaded iPod and I am enjoying a random mix of almost 900 songs from my personal history over the last 30 years or so. And guess, what, this feels satisfying! I can stare out at I35 South and be glad I am not driving there amidst the Sunday afternoon traffic, enjoy music ranging from classical to jazz to 70s rock to progressive, type my thoughts here in a calm-induced stream of consciousness and feel the cares melt away. Ok, to be honest the cares never really go far do they, but hey, I’ll take what I can get.

Yes, I am sure I will be seduced at some point, be it later today, another weekend soon, or through Monday night football (or, um, Sunday night, or Thursday night, or any other of the 4 out of 7 nights football might occur) to indulge in the national religion of the United States. I will have to confess my sins at some point of preferring to go to movies, theatre, art exhibits, sushi restaurants, jazz clubs or any number of other fun activities there are to experience in the DFW area. I re-designed my website to function as a handy website link reference for many activities that occur almost daily in the metroplex. I am sure this re-design will soon need a sports category as well. Not that there is anything wrong with that :).

Don’t get me wrong, I love sports, football being my favorite. Maybe it is better when mingled with the assortment of other things on the buffet, rather than functioning as the 1 pound hamburger that leaves nothing else for the appetite to consume.

No comments: