Thursday, September 29, 2011

Deja Vu

I visited my undergrad college town a couple of weeks ago. I had only been there for one or two very brief passing-through visits in the last 32 years or so. Whenever I've been back, I am surprised at the intensity of feelings and memories that surface. This time was no different.

It's interesting that after living some place for a long time how we appear to absorb a collective consciousness for that place. Or, maybe we call it a "vibe". This vibe is multi-dimensional and perhaps beyond words. Music probably expresses it best.

This vibe certainly came rushing back. Part of it was the climate. Summer afternoons in Hattiesburg are warm and slightly humid. In the center of the summer, afternoon showers are regular, short and refreshing. That particular day was cooler and less humid, but I remembered, felt and practically saw many of the wonderful people I played, laughed, worked, learned and grew up with for the 4-5 years spent in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I miss all of you.

No comments: