Sunday, December 6, 2009

First Week in December 2009

Since I didn't do anything particularly exciting this past week, but I want to maintain the discipline of writing a blog at least once a week, maybe a summary will be sufficient.

The week began with a return from visiting my family in Mississippi. The flight back Sunday morning was about as on-time, smooth and predictable as I can remember a flight being. No delays and no bumpiness along the way. After landing, I went home, spent some time unpacking, playing music and organizing for the week ahead. Sunday night I had a great dinner at the Reatta in Ft. Worth with my daughter and her boyfriend.

Monday was a little slow getting back into the work routine. Many folks were out of the office attending a healthcare technology trade show (RSNA), so the office was relatively quiet. We were mid-week of a two week iteration, so the Monday team meeting focused on what had been done the week before and what we expected to finish the coming week.

The rest of the week was more energetic at work as people slowly returned from the trade show and folks who normally work outside the Corepoint Plano office started dribbling into town. The week was capped off with an office Christmas party Friday night complete with catering by Blue Mesa, White Elephant gift exchange and probably 70 people or so in attendance.

During the week I managed to watch another installment of Planet Earth from my Netflix subscription and finish the book, Personality Types, which is an exploration of the Enneagram personality model. This model has roots in Maslow psychological theory and was a very stimulating read. I started a new book, Microtrends, by Mark Penn that looks like it will be a quick, practical read.

Saturday I managed to upgrade my cell phone from an aging Motorola Q (circa 2005) to the Motorola Droid, a Google Android-based phone. So far I am really enjoying the fast-forward in technology from what I had before along with the much improved web access and user experience.

My Christmas tree is up! I went for a small tree this year to minimize setup and teardown hassle. I gave away my full-size tree to a good friend. It looks great! While we were getting the tree up and going, we cooked a great meal consisting of Thai Salmon, rice and asparagus. Shrimp cocktail appetizers and a Flat Creek bottle of Pinot Grigio lubricated both the cooking and the tree trimming.

Today was pretty yucky outside with misty rain and fog all day long. However, we heard a great talk by Kurt Condra regarding the metaphysical interpretation of Christmas and enjoyed a great meal and conversation at Fish City Grill on Royal and Preston.

So, sortof a chilled, happy week. Looking forward to the last two weeks of the year for Christmas, family visits, Cotton Bowl and New Year's Eve.

No comments: